What to Do If You Were Wrongfully Fired or Discriminated Against At Work

What should you do if you believed you were wrongfully fired from your job or otherwise discriminated against? Aside from other issues you will have to think about such as filing for unemployment benefits,  below are a few suggestions in anticipation of litigation:

  1. Start a diary or journal. Write down all important facts and events. The more details you can recall, the more useful it can be to you.  Write down any witnesses and contact information.
  2. Obtain a copy of any current employee handbook, employer policy, and any current collective bargaining agreement.
  3. Make a written request for a copy of your employee file as this is your right under Michigan law. Allow for reasonable time to comply and reasonable cost for the copy.
  4. Gather all relevant documents, photographs, videos, audio recordings, and any other item that can be used for evidence. Be sure to preserve any employer letter you got that terminated your employment.
  5. Gather together information about your educational background, employment history going back 15 years, criminal history, any lawsuits including divorces and traffic citations, and bankruptcies.
  6. Schedule an attorney consultation as soon as possible. There can be very short statute of limitations in employment law, some as short as the 90 days in Michigan to file a whistle blower retaliation lawsuit. I offer a free email consultation.

See my website for more information on what I can do for you.

NOTE: please keep in mind that this blog is not meant to be legal advice. Consult a lawyer if you need legal advice.

Leave a Reply